Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Medical Costs and Advertising

The drug companies probably say that they advertise to inform the public. This should not be necessary.

Drug companies have advertised in magazines for as long as I can remember. It is only in recent years that they have been allowed to. (I wonder which politicians they paid off to get this privilege!!)

This raises a couple of issues: Are our doctors so dumb they can’t diagnose conditions and prescribe the appropriate drug? Also, think of how much less our drugs might cost if they didn’t advertise! (Some day when I have time I’m going to see if I can get advertising figures. These are public companies.)

We apparently see the advertising, then convince our doctors we have to have it. Could it be that the doctors are being paid off by the drug companies also? Is that why they send in the sales girls to flirt with the doctors? Makes you wonder!!

No comments: