Thursday, November 06, 2008

Why A Republican Voted for Barak Obama

Even though I'm a Republican (soon to become an Independent), I voted for Barak Obama.

My reasons were:

The Republican administration (Bush) gave big business too much leeway, and their greed made them completely lose all good sense, at least partially responsible for getting the economy in the shape it's in. It was simply time to rein them in. I was never really convinced John McCain would do this.

The Republicans believe that people can manage their own benefits, such as health care and retirement, by investing money. That is simply not going to happen! When it comes right down to it, most people are not disciplined enough to invest, rather than spend. So it would end up creating a tremendous problem in the future.

We need to end the stalemate that exists between the Democratic congress and a Republican congress. It's really time we started moving forward. I have absolutely no faith in either Harry Reed or Nancy Pelosi, but they are going to be very difficult to unseat. (In fact, I believe they, more than anyone else, are responsible for the stalemate!)

We desperately need a president who can lead and inspire the people, and I don't believe any of the other candidates have the ability that Barak Obama has. Although during the campaign he was much criticized as simply a good orator, I think that a much needed asset (think Ronald Regan).

We have also been in desperate need of someone who can re-establish decent working relations with the rest of the world. Again, McCain, with his hard-nosed attitude (due to his captivity?) simply would not have been able to do this.

Time will certainly judge whether or not I made the right choice.

No comments: